b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:57:08 -0500

Kelton:

It looks as if Mr.s Arnold & Choi are wrong, they should
have looked to Harold Holmyard to help them get a
suitable example.

Amending how I understood the question before, KY
when it introduces a question, is preceded by an
interrogative H- prefix.

When it introduces a rhetorical question, the interrogative
H- is prefixed onto the word directly following the KY.

Without the interrogative H-, KY does not introduce a
question.

In verses as 2 Kings 18:34 and Isaiah 36:19, KY merely
introduces a subordinate clause within an already opened
interrogative sentence. It does not open a new question.

Can you think of any examples that they, Harold and I all
missed?

Karl W. Randolph.