b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Malkut in Daniel 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Malkut in Daniel 1:1
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 01:05:49 +0000

On Mon 14 Nov 2005 you wrote:
>I am presently researching the translation of malkut in Daniel 1:1
>and 2:1 because nearly all translations render this word as 'reign'.
>The NWT is very much different because it renders this word as
>'kingship' which means that the 'third year' of Jehoiakim does not
>refer to third regnal year but to the 'third year' of his revolt,
>rebellion or vassalage.
>
>The above NWT rendering removes much of the historical difficulties
>that have surrounded this passage and thus puts this verse in a
>theological context relating to God's sovereignty of the Kingdom
>through kingship. I would welcome any contribution to this debate.

Dear Neil:
Without entering into controversy concerning the renderings of the
NWT, may I suggest you consult Edward J Young, /The Prophecy of
Daniel/, Eerdmans, 1949 where he considers this very matter at some
length both /ad loc/ and in Appendix 1. Your research will be incomplete
without it, if I may say so.

Shalom
Ben
--