b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Joseph: Israel - Hyksos - Egypt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Joseph: Israel - Hyksos - Egypt
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:42:16 -0800

Dear List,

It is apparent that some dating may (?) be required. Several dates would
possibly narrow the focus.

First, under the traditional dating of the Exodus ca. 1446-45 BC, one would
add
430 years (according to the Genesis 15:12ff passage for the Sojourn in Egypt),
this would give a date around 1876-75 BC. The Pharaoh of Joseph would be
Senostris III.

Second, it is commonly agreed that the Hyksos came to power about 1750 BC.
This
would fit in right nicely with the phrase, " 'Now there arose a new king over
Egypt, who did not know Joseph" (Exodus 1:8). Now, notice that the text refers
to a "new king," not a "new pharaoh." This would indicate, to me a
"non-Egyptian
King." If not, then it would have to refer to the new pharaohs ca 1550 BC who
revolted against the Hyksos and drove them out of Egypt.

Third, If the Later Date of the Exodus is used (I do not subscribe to this
theory, but for the sake of argument), then the 430 years added to the date of
Seti I, Rameses II and an Exodus date of 1290-1275 BC would give 1730 BC. This
would be the time of Joseph arriving in Egypt and coming to power as PM about
20
years after the Hyksos arrival. This 13th Century date of the Exodus is only
approximate, so I would give a date for Joseph to be somewhere between 1705
BC -
1730 BC.

Fourth, the text of Exodus 1:9 tells us that this "new king" is speaking to
"his
people." This could refer to the Hyksos king speaking to his own people,
fellow
Hykos; or it is the new pharaoh speaking to fellow Egyptian power brokers.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III