b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:22:30 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

You notice I said "seem to fit". We do have a few late inscriptions
written in both Roman and Greek script, and apart from a possible
development of 'kaph' to 'khaph' indicating maybe a development of begad
kepat forms it seems that the consonants do fit the script. Perhaps it is
safer to say that as yet there is not much evidence to suggest that they don
t. Internal evidence suggests that Akkadian, Ugaritic and Aramaic were not
phonemic, and external evidence is available for those languages and Hebrew.
I would not be surprised if Phoenician was not phonemic, but in that case
it is odd that the script fits [with the exception of sin/shin] the language
that [we presume] developed later in Israel and also fits the known
pronunciation of standard Aramaic. It seems better to take that as
indicating that Phoenician was developed for a language with 22 consonants
until we find evidence against that position. The problem with the sin/shin
distinction is that neither Roman nor Greek scripts can distinguish these
sounds.

By "witness of history" I meant simply that a few ancient writers credited
the Phoenicians with inventing the alphabet, and there is no alternative
claim in historical writings. No such claim is made for the Hebrews having
invented the script, so I prefer to have as a working hypothesis that it was
a Phoenician 'invention'. Reality is usually messier than history suggests,
but surely it is better to go with a theory that has a long history than one
which has no evidence at all?

Kevin Riley