b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:51:23 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

A good question - dialect?, sound change? Maybe Phoenician was less
phonemic than we think, although the Punic inscriptions support the
traditional understanding of the phonemic inventory of Phoenician. But it
still argues against assuming that writing will be phonemic even in the
early stages of a script being adopted, which was my main point.

Kevin Riley