b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What the Torah teaches us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tna Swg <tnaswg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What the Torah teaches us
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:59:06 -0800 (PST)

Hebraiste,

Note in Theology Today 62 (2005): 342-51, JL Hooper. John Courtney Murray, SJ
(1904-67): Working with God for comments that reflect on exhaustive truth
from a different lens.

Marc Bauer

Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net> wrote:
How could you say that? Do you know all of the Oral Torah that was
written down? Some of it is extremely detailed in such matters as
you describe below, and you can refer to the writings of Aryeh
Kaplan, some of which demonstrate how advancing science is revealing
truths that were long ago revealed by Oral Torah.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna:

Even if you include all the Oral Torah as part of God's
revelation, it still does not teach exhaustive truth.

Even for a past event, in this case the creation, Torah
does not report all the details of the creation, the
incredible and irreduceable complexity of all life, the
Krebs cycle within the cells, the organelles which are still
"black boxes" where, in spite of the efforts of researchers,
they still don't know what goes on in them, and so forth.
All life is to reproduce "after its own kind" but it doesn't
explain the actions of the DNA, nor the other bio-chemical
machinery that regulates such replication, nor does it
even define what a "kind" is and how it differs from
"species".

In short, while the text clearly teaches that God created the
universe, and that within six literal days, it leaves out most
of the details. Hence true truth, but not exhaustive truth.

Karl W. Randolph.