b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 00:22:13 +0500

On 06/10/2005 21:16, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

It's not a prosodic rule. It's not hard to find examples in Tanach of
the same prosody with different trope types, and, hence, different
BEGED KEFET behavior. The Masoretes invented this arbitrary
inter-word rule (and, actually, for all we know, invented the entire
BEGED KEFET rule).

This last part sounds improbable to me. The Masoretes recorded what they heard, in the tradition of chanting the Bible which they knew. So they must have heard a distinction corresponding to dagesh, and heard that the dagesh pronunciation was not used after a vowel even in a previous word within a short phrase. And there is surely pre-Masoretic evidence for the different pronunciations of begadkepat letters in transliterations into Greek, Latin etc.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)