b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:33:14 +0500

On 11/10/2005 03:11, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

There is considerable pre-masoreteic evidence, and none of it confirms
the Masoretic Beged Kefet rules. I go through the evidence in great
detail in my NYU book (_In the Beginning: A Short History of the
Hebrew Language), which is available from most libraries. "Rebekka"
demonstrates well, as the Masoretes recorded two syllables and a /v/
for the second consonant, while the LXX gives us three syllabes and a
/b/ for the second consonant. "Milcah" shows the same pattern, with
/k/ according to the Masoretes but /x/ according to the LXX.

Joel, from what you posted before it seems that in your studies you have failed to take account of the known facts about changes in Greek phonology, but rather have assumed that the traditional pronunciation of classical Greek is correct for all periods. That would throw considerable doubt on your conclusions, for the main evidence for your theory comes from Greek transliterations. No time to go into it more now, but I would like to at another time.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)