b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] END TO THREAD Re: Historical origin of Eden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] END TO THREAD Re: Historical origin of Eden
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:17:02 -0400

Dear B-Haverim:

Sorry, James...please do not be offended.

The following post has strayed from the discussion of the Hebrew of the Tanakh; it is therefore out of bounds for this list.

In short: we are not going there.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair

Read, James C wrote:
Vadim,

I am particularly interested in your recent claims that head of nile river is more plausible candidate for biblical garden of eden.

I have recently seen a documentary, 'The Real Eve', where a genetic scientist traces all women back to an original Mother in the East of Africa. She did this by means of an anomaly whereby mitochondrial DNA is handed down from mother to daughter only and not from father to daughter. Her research shows that all mankind came from East Africa and that all the worlds races came from splitting groups in Arabia after migrating from East Africa. The documentary claims that the human family would have had to cross over the red sea into Arabia from East Africa as the desert was far too unforgiving.

However, I believe that the Nile river with it's source of fresh water would have been a much more forgiving route through the desert. No doubt during the long journey our ancestors would have passed down their memories of the lush tropics at the head of the Nile river and this would explain why all the world's cultures seem to have a story about a golden age which involves some kind of paradisaic conditions where everything grows in abundance.

I've been looking at the area of the head of the Nile river with maps.google.co.uk which gives nice satellite images, and the lush area seems a much stronger candidate than the arid babylonia.
I am interested in your theories on the four rivers that flow out of the garden of Eden.

Security System.