b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] hebrew in rabelais

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "faustroll1 AT juno.com" <faustroll1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] hebrew in rabelais
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:51:47 GMT

Dear B-Hebrew Group:

I have a question in regard to Francois Rabelais’ use of Hebrew in his books;
I hope my question is not seen as inappropriate, as I have no such intention.
Rabelais seems to have been a reader of the Hebrew Bible.

As early as the end of the 16th century, glossaries for Rabelais’ books
defined “Niphleseth,” the name of the Queen of the Andouilles in the Fourth
Book, Ch. 42, as Hebrew for “virile member.” I have now found this on both
French and English websites. But no one seems to have questioned it. As a
“sausage” (andouille), this makes some sense, but since she is female, it
also raises some questions.

I hesitate to state why I think the name might mean something else. I’m just
looking for either verification of this meaning, or a forthright,
well-reasoned (and perhaps well-documented) rejection.

Many thanks, and best wishes,

Respectfully,

Dr. Faustroll