b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Who is Ptgyh of Ekron Inscription again?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Who is Ptgyh of Ekron Inscription again?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:36:23 -0500

David:

Your first missive concerning the theory that the Philistines
were Semites I found rather interesting. Further it is
supported in that the ancient Hebrews seemed to have
little difficulty in speaking with Philistines. The latter fact
indicates that either bilingualism was very common in
those days, or that the languages were so similar that
people speaking one could understand people speaking
the other without translation.

However, this second missive has a major problem: you
made a big thing about certain date palm trees and the
mice connected with them. But when I checked the story (I
remembered that the Hebrew word used was (PLYM ) I
found that in only some manuscripts was +XRYM used as
a Qere in 1 Samuel 5 & 6 where (PLYM was Kethib, and
was used as Kethib only a couple of times in chap. 6.
(PLYM means swellings, such as tumors. Further there
was mention that a lot of people died. From this story, I get
the picture that this was an outbreak of bubonic plague,
typified by many rats coming out and dying, followed by
the disease breaking out in people with swellings
(buboes) and a high mortality rate 1 Samuel 5:12.

Unless we change the text, which I am very loathe to do,
the evidence from the theory of date palm trees and mice
doesn't hold up.

Karl W. Randolph.