b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:55:41 -0400

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 19:39:31 EDT 2005 wrote:

However, try as I might
I just cannot humanly pronounce this word
with such syllabic separations
without inserting a vocal schwa between the two syllables:

According to b-hebrew transcription guidlines,
the name you are analyzing is transcribed as "YaH:WeH"
I believe that the shewa between the two syllables is a silent shewa,
[a syllable divider],
not a vocal shewa.

Page H. Kelly’s "Biblical Hebrew , An Introductory Grammar" says
on page 13:

The silent shewa, on the other hand, only stands beneath a consonant that
ends a syllable.
The silent shewa, therefore may also be referred to as a syllable
divider.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/264290/YaHWeHdissected.JPG
At the link above you will find an image of my dissection of "YaH:WeH".
Hopefully it is correct.
An icon which appears at the lower right of the image,
allows you to enlarge the image.

Dave Donnelly