b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:39:31 +0100

At uni. I was told that b-hebrew words are formed by strict patterns of
vowels/consonants. That is to say that
syallable can only be formed of the following patterns

cv (consonant vowel)
cvc (consonant vowel consonant)

but not of

ccvc (consonsant consonant vowel consonant)

The reconstruction Yahweh would seem to break this rule. Ya (cv) hweh
(ccv(c)). As does also )ehyeh:
)e (cv) hyeh (ccvc).

My hebrew professor tried to explain this by claiming that the first 'he' of
YaHWeH was in fact the closing consonant
of the first syllable and not the opening consonant of the second.

i.e. YaH (cvc) WeH (cv(c))

However, try as I might I just cannot humanly pronounce this word with such
syllabic separations without
inserting a vocal schwa between the two syllables:

Ya (cv) H: (cv) WeH (cv(c))

Maybe this is just a limitation of my personal pronuniciation capabilities
but the form Yahweh as a bisyllabic word
would seem to break the rules of the consonant/vowel structure of b-hebrew
words.

Security System.