b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Broad heart

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Broad heart
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:35:02 -0500

Dear Reinier:

You are the person to correct me if I am wrong, but
it is my impression that an over reliance on semantic
domains can lead to incorrect definitions. Is it not
possible for a lexeme to be used only six times in
Tanakh, each in a separate semantic domain, with
the result that it can given six unique definitions, one
for each semantic domain?

When I first learned a foreign language, I learned that
each lexeme has one basic meaning. Sometimes that
lexeme is used in ways that sound very strange in
English, in semantic domains where we use different
lexemes, but that did not negate the basic pattern
that each lexeme has one basic meaning. The
technique I developed for learning languages
involved learning the vocabulary, then as part of
learning it, learning in which semantic domains each
lexeme may be utilized.

Further, words can be used as euphemisms or
idiomatically to invoke a picture. With modern
languages, it is possible to ask native speakers to
explain such uses. In a previous message, I mentioned
the American English use of "strike out" used as an
idiom to mean to fail, not get anywhere, invoking a
picture from baseball where a player fails to get on
base, and unless he gets on base he cannot score.
Another example is ABD "to become lost" often used
as an euphemism for death and dying.

The word RXB is a good example. It's basic meaning is
to become spacious, both length and distance. It is
also used of making a mouth spacious (wide open)
and in an idiomatic manner making strong (used of a
nation that expands its borders, hence it is a powerful
nation).

The statement in 1 Kings 5:9 that a broad heart
indicates that there was a lot of room to fill with
wisdom sounds very English (as in language) leaving
me to wonder if it fits the Hebrew use at all. Seeing as it
is used in an idiom, shouldn't we look for idiomatic uses
to help understand the meaning?

For example, it used to be said that a coward "had a
yellow streak up his back". The more cowardly, the
broader the streak, so that a very cowardly person
had "a broad yellow streak..." Like the example above
with 1 Kings and Solomon, "broad" did not refer to
having more room to fill, rather the broader the
stronger the effect.

Now we come to "spacious of heart", an idiomatic
phrase. You are right that the heart was where people
considered to be the source of thinking. Therefore an
expansive heart is an overpowering intellect. This is not
the scintillating intellect of an Einstein or other brainy
savant, rather the mind that is firmly rooted in its own
verities such that it is not easily swayed by others,
instead sways others. It can be acquired by common
people (Psalm 119:32).

When that is practiced in humility and wisdom, people
are attracted. But when utilized in pride and
arrogance, people can't deal with it (Psalms 101:5)
and is reckoned with the lamp of the wicked which
errs (Proverbs 21:4).

Mark Eddy has raised an interesting question, and I
tend to agree with him. The verb in Psalm 25:17 is Hiphil,
which as far as I know requires an object of the verb.
The only word available is "my heart". It looks that the
interpretation that by overcoming troubles, the
psalmist is more firmly rooted in truth is correct.

Finally, I question the universality of semantic domains.
As far as I can tell, the ancient Hebrews had only one
semantic domain that contained wisdom, obedience
to God and worship, they were not separate as in
Western thinking. The wise man was the one who
worshipped God in the way he lived his daily life. But
then there were different kinds of foolishness: the
foolishness of the unlearned was not the same as the
foolishness of the rebellious, and they were designated
by different terms in Hebrew. So where we have one
semantic domain for foolishness, the Hebrews had
two. How many other examples can we find?

Thanks for your response.

Karl W. Randolph.