b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Phinehas & Peleg - pe > phi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarjorieAlley AT cs.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Phinehas & Peleg - pe > phi
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:43:19 EDT

Hi ---

I am curious about why the hard pe in the Hebrew names Pinchas (English
Phinehas) and Peleg are spelled with a phi instead of a pi in the LXX.

Why did the LXX spirantize the pe when they transliterated the names? Does
this reflect a different Hebrew pronunciation of the names or is there some
other reason?

And I wonder why the English transliteration carried over the phi for
Phinehas, but not for Peleg?

Does anyone have some thoughts on this? It's just something I'm curious about.

Thanks,
Marjorie Alley