b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phinehas & Peleg - pe > phi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarjorieAlley AT cs.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, peterkirk AT qaya.org, joel AT exc.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phinehas & Peleg - pe > phi
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:39:58 EDT

Dr. Peter Kirk wrote:

>>> True, but we are almost certain that phi was an aspirated plosive, at
least in classical times - perhaps not quite so certain for LXX times. <<<

Would you mind clarifying this for me? Are you saying that you do not
necessarily agree with Dr. Hoffman that the LXX's "phi" in Pinchas/Phineas
represented a Hebrew pronunciation which differed from the later Massoretic
pronunciation?

You're saying that the phi might have been an aspirated plosive ( a "p"
rather than an "f" ) when the LXX was written?

Thank you,
Marjorie Alley