b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:10:59 -0700

On Sep 15, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Karl Randolph wrote:
Now the Bible claims that Torah, with minor exceptions, was
written in the 14th century BC, a major literary work during
the early phase of proto-Canaanite writing: if that claim is
accurate, that means that the ancient Hebrews had alphabet
well before the Phoenicians.

Now I realize that I am probably "stepping in it" by opening my big mouth on this topic, and ask everyone to realize that I'm quite busy at the moment which will probably make this a "drive-by posting," but ...

_The Bible makes no such claim._

The Bible does not definitively place Moses in the 14th century BCE; the data are ambiguous and difficult to interpret (assuming one thinks that the biblical data can be used to place an historical Moses on a timeline at all).

Second, and more to the point, the Bible makes no claims whatsoever about the time frame in which the Torah as such was written (down). Moses is ascribed a very limited writing activity in the Torah. Earlier this year we had an extensive discussion about that here on the list, and a search of the archives should provide anyone interested with a precise list of the very few places where the Torah ascribes to Moses some sort of writing activity (there's about half a dozen such passages, none of which address the Torah as a whole, but only smaller components thereof).

As I already posted extensively about this a few months back, I'll let the archives do the rest of the work of explanation, and get back to my regularly scheduled day job.

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion