b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:11:40 +0200

That's the one.

Chris, without having read the article, my understanding is that Ayin and
Ghayin, as well as the two Het's, were distinct phonemes in early Canaanite,
and preserved in Proto-Canaanite script and in Ugaritic. However, when what
we often call the paleo-Hebrew alphabet (which was actually a Canaanite
invention that was adopted by Israelites, Arameans, Moabites etc.) became
stabilized, these letters were combined, probably because the Canaanites had
stopped pronouncing them as distinct sounds. And while Hebrew still did
retain the different sounds, Hebrew scribes did not bother "inventing"
special signs for them. As long as Hebrew was a spoken language this was no
problem, just as native English speakers know when a C or a G is "hard" or
"soft". Remember, that only a small minority of the population could read
and write anyway. The fact that the Greek translators of the third century
BCE or later knew to translate a Ghayin as Gamma and Ayin usually as a
vowel, or Het as either Chi or Eta, shows that the differences were still
pronounced at that time. But by the time diacritics were introduced, the
differences is pronunciation were gone. Unlike, by the way, Shin and Sin,
which were preserved.

Yigal