b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Babylonian pointing

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Babylonian pointing
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:11:08 +0000

On 9/13/05, Ken Penner wrote:
> Does anyone know if the Babylonian vowel marks been proposed
> or approved for the Unicode standard?

Do they need to be? I would suppose first that such marks would also
include Babylonian cantillation marks, and also Israeli vowel and
cantillation marks, as well as various extensions to the Tiberian
system? But is a Babylonian etnax that different from a Tiberian
etnax? I think it might end up better, rather than dealing with all
the additional marks this would indicate, to have only a few additional
marks, mainly for extended pointings used by the Tiberian system,
for both vowels and cantillation. Since the Tiberian system is in
many senses a superset of the other systems, then where it is a
superset of Israeli or Babylonian vowel or cantillation marks no new
sign should be added. Just where it is not a superset, where there
is an extension in the Babylonian or Israeli or even in a variant of
the Tiberian, then there should be a variant symbol. And if you
want to switch between the various systems, just switch fonts.

In any case, if they had been approved, you'd probably see them
on http://www.unicode.org/charts/

Best,
Yitzhak Sapir