b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:17:16 +0200

Dear Kevin,

That's the problem with translations. From verses 12-13 it is clear, that
the Israelites are to sacrifice the firstborn male of every animal, and to
redeem firstborn male humans. So it should be: "Therefore, I sacrifice to
the LORD all the firstborn of every womb, the males, but every firstborn of
my sons I redeem."

"To redeem" means to give something in its place (in this case 5 shekels of
silver).

Yigal