b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 40:7 final phrase

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 40:7 final phrase
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:47:37 -0500

B-Hebrew chaberim:

The usual translation of the final phrase of Psalm 40:7 is
"burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not ask for" or
something better in English than this. However, there are
some linguistic questions that put a little doubt on that
translation.

First, I noticed that X+)H has a different meaning in all
other of its uses. While this could be a typo (copiest
error) for X+)T, in which case it would fit, the usual
meaning for X+)H is, in theological terms, "sinfulness".

Secondly, (WLH is found in Tanakh from two different
roots: one from (WL [hard waw] meaning injustice,
often in the judicial sense; the other from (LH as a
varient spelling for burnt offering.

Hence the phrase could read "you have not asked for
injustice and sinfulness".

What think ye?

This is something that I just noticed, as I was looking
at something else.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm