b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:05:56 +0100

On 21/08/2005 01:50, Read, James C wrote:

We could do it with xml. If we parse the whole text of the tanakh and put each word in an xml
tag with attributes or within an xml hierarchy which clearly show the forms of each word the
software would be quite be simple.

I could write the software for you. The only problem is xml'ing the entire tanakh.

Indeed the software is trivial. And adding markup to the enitre text is also essentially trivial although time-consuming. The real problem is the need to parse every word in the Tanakh, which is a very difficult job, not least because there are many ambiguities such as the one we have seen with RAC in Genesis 18:7.

Well, at least two groups have completed this kind of parsing. Westminster Theological Seminary has completed a morphological parse, see http://www.wts.edu/hebrew/whm.html, and its results are widely available. A syntactical parse has been done at the Free University, Amsterdam, but the website http://www.th.vu.nl/~wiweb/ giving details of this seems to be down at present.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)