b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD was Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD was Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:12:31 -0500

Peter:

First of all, as a person who has done most of his work in
B-Hebrew as a lexicographer, I understand Rolf Furuli's
contention that there are linguistic constructs that have
"uncancellable semantic meaning". For me, the basic one is
the lexeme itself. For me, it is the recognition of a
lexeme's basic meaning that provides clues as to an
application of a literary device or clarification of an
obscure sentence.

But that "uncancellable semantic meaning" is a point time
one, because lexemes change meaning over time. In the
question below, I see no change over the time period that
Tanakh was written.

Which brings up the reason I titled this message as above:
when looking at the meaning for XSD, used as both a verb
and a noun well over 100 times in Tanakh, I found that it
has the basic meaning as a verb as "to treat with (often
undeserved) good favor", or as a noun "(undeserved) good
favor". So where does it have an opposite meaning? The
concordance I use lists three possible times, Leviticus
20:17, Proverbs 14:34, 25:10, but each makes sense using
the above meaning, so where is the opposite meaning?

Karl W. Randolph.