b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh v. messengers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh v. messengers
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:16:52 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk> Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:49 PM
Another fine example which shows the tanakh's faint distinction between men, yah and his messengers is
Genesis 32:24-30. We are told here that Jacob grapples all night with a 'man'. Are we to take this literally
and understand that Jacob fought with a mortal man? Clearly not! Because the context makes it clear that
this was just language which conveyed the point of view in that moment.
Jacob' receives a blessing and we are told that his name is chaged to Israel (contender with God) yet we
are told that he ocntended with a 'man'.
In conclusion we are told that Jaco concludes that he had come face to face with The God. This is a fine
example of how Yah's messengers take the form of men and are then referred to as if God himself when it
is finally perceived that they are his messengers.

My understanding is that the Hebrew word "ish" translated here as man, does not mean mortal man or human being, but a male person. It is used in the Bible to refer to men, angels and Jehovah.

A son of Adam or just an adam is the word for a human being.

I also understand that "enosh" refers to mortal man, but I do not know how that is proven from the Scriptures.
-Steve Miller
Detroit