b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:50:05 +0200

James, I don't know what text you're using, but in my BHS, verse 3 says:
"And he said, ADONAI...", spelled out, NOT YHWH. The narrator lets us know
that it was YHWH who appeared, but Abram doesn't know it until verse 10. In
verse 9, the three still address Abram as three people, "and they said...".
In verse 10, it's suddenly "and HE said...". This is the point at which
Abram realizes that it's God who's talking.

Yigal