b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Attributes of YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Attributes of YHWH
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:46:55 -0700 (PDT)

>From another thread:

“If Moses did not see the face of God, does that bear
on Torah's credibility?”

Shoshanna responded:

“You realize of course that G-d does not have a face

Or any human attributes”

In light of the above comments, I would like to
explore what the Hebrew text actually says in relation
to this verse:

Genesis 32 JPS 1917

31 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: 'for
I have seen God face to face, and my life is
preserved.'

Everett Fox's Five Books of Moses:

32 Yaakov called the name of the place: Peniel/ Face
of God, for: I have seen God, face to face, and my
life has been saved.