b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FROM STAFF Re: Attributes of YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FROM STAFF Re: Attributes of YHWH
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:51:15 -0400

FROM THE B-HEBREW STAFF

Once again, folks, let's reign in the discussion. b-hebrew does not exist to decide the attributes of God.

Let me clarify: In searching out a better understanding of the Hebrew text of the Tanakh, we may teach and learn the attributes of God along the way. On the other hand, the topic "the attributes of God" shall not be the primary and only topic of a thread. This is not a religion chat room.

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair

Gene Gardner wrote:
From another thread:

“If Moses did not see the face of God, does that bear
on Torah's credibility?”

Shoshanna responded:

“You realize of course that G-d does not have a face

Or any human attributes”

In light of the above comments, I would like to
explore what the Hebrew text actually says in relation
to this verse:

Genesis 32 JPS 1917

31 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: 'for
I have seen God face to face, and my life is
preserved.'

Everett Fox's Five Books of Moses:

32 Yaakov called the name of the place: Peniel/ Face
of God, for: I have seen God, face to face, and my
life has been saved.