b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] when is a thread really closed?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] when is a thread really closed?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:31:07 -0400

Hi b-hebrew

Bryan Rocine -b-hebrew co-chairBryan,
>A lot of the work of the chairmen is done off-list, hidden from the eyes of
>the entire list. For instance, we have just recently informed, off-list,
>some list members how close they are to being put on
>moderation. We do a lot of our work off-list to make every effort to be
>considerate and respectful.

Schmuel
As one who on occasion does in fact joust with various moderators on lists,
sometimes on doctrine, sometimes on tone, sometimes on subject, may I mention
that this list does overall just about the very best job of light moderation
that I have ever seen.

Let's bend over backwards to let them also do their day jobs :-)

Suggestions:

Look your posts over two or three times before submitting,
more especially if they are on borderline and gray area subjects.

Use the second and third lookovers to pull out the acrimonious stuff,
the dogmatic assertions, the stuff that is too far off-topic.

Be especially aware of "back-and-forth" and "tit-for-tat" types of
jousting.

If you aren't sure, hold the post a day or so and then come back to it.
Tis likely the list will still be here !

One thought for the moderators -- roughshod "anti-religious" or
"anti-truth-of-scripture" sentiment does have a tendency to provoke, and it
goes through to the list under a greater veneer of (pseudo)-objective,
scholarly opinion. A lot of the tit-for-tat stuff seems to be in response to
such posting. ie. The dogmatic tone of the "against" stuff is often the
catalyst for a jousting match.

However, noting this is not at all meant to give a pass to those, like
myself and a number of others, who take the opposite side :-)

Shalom,
Schmuel