b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:22:37 +0300

Shoshanna, an appeal to authorities is improper scholarly argument.
As a bare minimum, Moses never told the name to Israelites or Aaron, and
never addresses God with it, so apparently he didn't receive it. Also, of
course, ehye asher ehye is meaningless as a name. Also, it rises paal-hiphil
issue when compared with YHWH. HWH vs. HIH root. Also, as I said, in Ex3:15
antecedent a dozen word apart is extremely unlikely; I don't recall any
example of so remote antecedent in Tanakh. Apellation "God of Abraham, etc"
is widely attested in relation to God. Moses was speifically told that God
is the God of Moses' ancestors. Thus, Moses was given a reply that ancestral
God speaks to him, not the name.

Vadim Cherny