b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:20:38 -0400

Honest - in all my life and education, I have never come across where G-d's names are given meaning, except as I said, that what is discussed is the various aspects of G-d that different names refer to, and why therefore they are used in different places in different contexts, so that we learn which aspect of G-d is operating at that time, and that the Kabbalists go further, that they discuss how the four letters of the Shem HaMeforash stand for different Sefiroth and their interrelations.

Also, here is the source where we learn that the Shem HaMeforash is not to be pronounced:

Exodus 3: 15 "This is my Name forever": Since the word "LeOlam" is spelled without the customary "vav", it can be pronounced, "LeAlem", to conceal. This implies that the Divine Name should not be pronounced as it is spelled. G-d continued: "This is My remembrance", meaning that He taught Moses to pronounce the Name as Adonoy (Rashi from Misdrash, Pesachim 50a)

Also, re the Shem Hameforash:

"Exodus 3: 13 "Mah-Shmo" - "What is His name?" Obviously the Jews knew the various names of G-d, so that the question cannot be understood literally. G-d has many Names, each of which represents the way in which He reveals Himself through His behavior toward the world. When He is merciful, He is called Hashem (YHVH), the Name that represents compassion. This Name also represents the eternity of G-d, for it is composed of the letters that spell - Haya, Hovey, Yih'yeh - He was, He is, and He will be, meaning that G-d's Being is timeless. When He exercises strict judgement, He is called Elohim. When He exercises His mastery over nature and performs hidden miracles - as He did for the Patriarchs - He is called Shaddai, and so on. Thus Moses was saying that once the Jews accepted him as G-d's emissary, they would want to know which of G-d's attributes He would manifest in the course of redeeming them from Egypt (Ramban)"

"However, YHVH is more than a descriptive Name, it is a proper noun, for it is the actual Name of G-d, and is known as Shem HaMeforash, or the "Ineffable Name." In respect for its great sanctity, it is not pronounced as it is written. Instead, it is pronounced Adonoy during prayer or when reading from the Torah; in ordinary speech, the word Hashem (the Name) is substituted for it. That it should not be pronounced as it it spelled is derived by the Sages from verse 15"

(quoted from the compilation of commentaries in the Stone Chumash)

Shoshanna

I'm a little confused now. Are you saying that there is absolutely no
traditional understanding of the name's meaning?

How odd!

Names in b-hebrew seem to have so much importance e.g. Abram v. Abraham.
Are you sure there is no traditional understanding? Or are you just telling
me the modern ideas?