b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:27:54 -0400

Interesting that you should know better than Ramban, Rashi, etc.

What makes you think/what qualifies you to know better?

On what basis do you contradict the Torah, to say that "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh" is a "no-reply"?

Shoshanna

Exodus 3: 15 "This is my Name forever"

The author of Torah, unlike Faulkner, did not customarily refer to
antecedents few dozen words apart. It does not seem likely to me that shmi
refers to yhwh. I think, shmi rather relates to "God of Abraham, etc." And
such designation is meaningful - ancestral God.

Besides, Moses never told Hebrews the name he asked for. Thus, evidently, he
got no reply, and ehye asher ehye is idiomatic refusal to state the name.

Vadim Cherny