b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 subjects

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 subjects
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:45:17 +0100

The text literally says that YHWH met him. But did YHWH actually walk down
the street and bump into Moses?
The LXX doesn't seem to think so and translates the text as his messenger as
does Acts. The larger context
of the story helps us to understand that it was a messenger and not Yah
himself because it is unthinkable that
after protecting Moses from his glory on Mount Sinai that he would so
casually appear in front of Moses with
his wife with no similar protective measures.
It is reasonable to assume that the angel is trying to kill Moses as the
family head but people would be equally justified in interpreting that the
angel was trying to kill the uncircumcised boy. How does Zipporah
realise that circumcising the boy will resolve the situation?

Zipporah cuts of the skin and it touches 'his' feet. There are four possible
interpretations here:
1) Yah was literally there and allowed the foreskin to touch his feet
2) Yah's messenger was there and Zipporah threw it to his feet as a gesture
of plea for appeasement
3) She threw at her husband's(Moses) feet in anger
4) After she cut off the skin it fell to her son's feet as it naturally would

Personally, I like interpretation number 2 but I couldn't conclusively prove
it to be more right than the others.

'Consequently he let go of him'
Again, maybe yah himself is letting go of the child or Moses. Or maybe Yah's
messenger is doing it. Nothing is
100% certain but I like to think that Yah's Messenger is letting go of Moses
because I find it difficult to
accept that Yah would hold the child responsible for the circumcision.

Anyway, back to 2Sam24:1. Just as it justifiable to interpret Yah's angel in
the example above it is also
perfectly acceptable and more conducive to the context to interpret the
tempter as being a different subject
to YHWH who is the one who gets angry in the first clause.