b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:00:32 -0400

:-)
I knew someone would say that. I am, of course, talking about within the narrative framework of the Ezekielian report.

Jim

Peter Kirk wrote:

On 08/08/2005 16:33, Jim West wrote:

Ezekiel is doubtless, doubtless, doubtless, describing events between his own exile in 597 and the destruction of the Temple in 587. That there were odd things going on in the temple during that interim (and even before) seems borne out by lots of prophetic denunciation of temple activities. notably Jeremiah. So, it is a good trick- but one reflective of actual practice.

Jim

Well, Jim, you are right, and Dave is wrong, as far as the dating is concerned: the sixth year (8:1) is probably 592 BC, and it was not until the 12th year that Ezekiel heard of the final fall of Jerusalem, 33:21. And I would tend to agree that odd things were going on in the Temple during those years, as reported by nearby Jeremiah, e.g. 19:4-6, 23:11, as well as far off Ezekiel. But I am very surprised to hear from you that the inscriptions "were in the temple itself" when there is no evidence for this apart from a prophetic vision.

--
D. Jim West