b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yishmor Y <yishmor AT heplist.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:01:26 -0800

Dora writes :
> It makes the most sense to think that a document was
> actually produced to legitimize the pogrom. Such a
> document is consistent wtih the stated purpose of the
> pogrom to return Israel to its allegedly ancient ways. I
> think it was manufactured by the priests.

I also believe that the document was manufactured to legitimize reforms which were already being instituted. First point, it is rather convenient that we would find a scroll that it alone agrees with the radical changes already being pushed through by Josiah and Hilkiah. Second, instead of going to the "big name" prophets (Jeremiah and Zechariah) to get a third party testimony that the document was legit, they went to a no-name prophetess with family connections to those who would have written the document. Both, by themselves, should each have raised red flags.

It is my opinion that this found "lost scroll" was the book of Deuteronomy (Debariym) as it best fits all the key points of the description and situation.

yišmor busi