b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Robert Heard <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:34:27 -0700 (PDT)

Dave Washburn wrote:
>A good trick, since there was no temple in Ezekiel's day as far as we
know.

Dave, the vision in question--from Ezekiel 8 and the following
chapters--is dated to the sixth year of King Jehoiachin's (and
Ezekiel's) "exile" in Babylon, or approximately 592/591 BCE. There
certainly was a temple standing in Jerusalem at that point.

Now, having said that, I should add that I regard Ezekiel's visionary
report in Ezekiel 8--the idolatry and such that he sees--as a
_composite_ sketch of what has been going on in that temple for some
time. Even so, the book clearly charges the temple administrators with
allowing the depiction of theriomorphic gods in private rooms within.

--
I left my signature in my other e-mail client.

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion