b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim - A Bit More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim - A Bit More
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:11:28 +0100

Yeah,
English Jack,Jacob,James
Italian Giacomo, Giacobbe
Latin ???
Hebrew Iacov

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Karl Randolph
Sent: Mon 8/8/2005 12:07 PM
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

This is a bit off topic, sort of.

My father used to have a personal friend whose name was
Jacob Preuss, and when he wrote letters to him, he
addressed them starting "Dear Jack". I always thought
"Jack" was short for "Jacob".

Similarly, the Greek "YHSOUS" may reflect a shortening
from "Yehoshu'a", four syllables to two. That's how the
New Testament renders Joshua.

Karl W. Randolph.