b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ehye; another five cents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ehye; another five cents
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 10:51:21 +0300

Besides 1s FT or imperfect, ehye could be other things:

- aleph as Aramaic 1s suffix instead of iod in Hebrew (1-2-3-person suffixes)
- aleph could be a vocalization, like in Ezra, before hih, not a meaningful
letter

Since ehye is normally employed with I, interpreting ehye as 1s is a bit odd,
introducing unwarranted repetition.

Theophoric yah - could it relate to the Aramaic suffix of a group (i.e., a
Chaldean)?

Could anyone voice an objection to reading ehye in Ex3:14 as a refusal to
tell Moses the name: "I will be what I will be," an equivalent to "none of
your business"? If Moses was told the name, isn't it bizarre hat he did not
tell it the people?

What is the explanation of schwa-kamatz in shlhni in Ex3:14? Aramaic? Or,
perhaps, an imperative or a noun? If Aramaic, then aleph is ehye is also
likely Aramaic.

Vadim Cherny

  • [b-hebrew] Ehye; another five cents, Vadim Cherny, 08/07/2005