b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tsav latsav...qav laqav

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yaacov Yeretz <ierets AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tsav latsav...qav laqav
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:48:33 -0700 (PDT)

96 DocumentEmail false false false
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
Vince:

In Jewishcircles there has been a regular use of the word "tsav" through the
millenniums.This is one of the words Jews have pretty little doubt about that
it a command.But still there is a possibility that the root might be in use
with other meanings.

BothKLEIN's Ethymological Dictionary (pub. by University of Haifa, Israel)
and EvenShoshan's new Hebrew-Hebrew Dictionary in six volumes, give the very
explanationyou have already got.

I justsupposed, the word might be of Aramaic origin, and therefore I turned
toJastrow. You can see a scan of the respective page here:
http://www.israelbiblicaltours.com/ierets/Download/Jastrow.gif

Persoanlly,I understand the words KaW LeKaW TSaW LeTSaW as an ancient
discription of thecomputer and the internet(but not exclusively so).

Sincerely

Yaacov

----- OriginalMessage -----

From:"Medina, Vincent" <VMedina AT cbcag.edu>