b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles Rempel" <CharlesR AT mygalaxyexpress.com>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:50:13 -0500

> >>Dave Washburn
> >>Actually, when God asks Satan "have you considered my servant
> >>Job? Look how
> >>great he is. Makes your blood boil, doesn't it?????" (my paraphrase,
> >>obviously) it almost appears that God is taunting Satan, daring
> >>him to make
> >>an accusation. In both chapters, it is God, not Satan, who
> brings up the
> >>subject of Job. What do you do with that?
> >>
> >Charles D. Rempel
> >Actually the Hebrew says, "Have you set your heart on my servant Job?" A
> >little different perspective then is implied by the English translation.

> > D. Jim West
> True- but in a woodenly literalistic way. Or are you suggesting that
> satan pulled out his heart and placed it on job or that that was what
> god was asking? of course not- its an idiomatic phrase- quite correctly
> rendered in english by "considered" in this context. further- you say
> "the Hebrew says... " and then you give an english translation. In
> point of fact the Hebrew doesn't say anything in English, it says it in
> Hebrew. More correctly you should have said, "the hebrew suggests an
> english translation which would go something like this....." I realize
> that sound pedantic- and in a way it is- but its precision we should
> strive for- and since that is what youve asked of Dave, that's what
> should be required of you.

Actually, I had never considered the totally literal thought of taking ones
heart out and "setting" it anywhere. While idiomatically it may well be that
"considered" is a good translation, there is a possible inference that God is
approaching Satan and bringing up the topic. I think that "what the Hebrew
suggests" is that Satan had already carefully "considered" Job and therefore,
in good English idiom, "set his heart" on testing Job.

Charles D. Rempel