b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Charles Rempel <CharlesR AT mygalaxyexpress.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:11:42 -0400

Charles Rempel wrote:

Actually, when God asks Satan "have you considered my servant
Job? Look how
great he is. Makes your blood boil, doesn't it?????" (my paraphrase,
obviously) it almost appears that God is taunting Satan, daring
him to make
an accusation. In both chapters, it is God, not Satan, who brings up the
subject of Job. What do you do with that?

--
Dave Washburn

Actually the Hebrew says, "Have you set your heart on my servant Job?" A
little different perspective then is implied by the English translation.

Charles D. Rempel

True- but in a woodenly literalistic way. Or are you suggesting that satan pulled out his heart and placed it on job or that that was what god was asking? of course not- its an idiomatic phrase- quite correctly rendered in english by "considered" in this context. further- you say "the Hebrew says... " and then you give an english translation. In point of fact the Hebrew doesn't say anything in English, it says it in Hebrew. More correctly you should have said, "the hebrew suggests an english translation which would go something like this....." I realize that sound pedantic- and in a way it is- but its precision we should strive for- and since that is what youve asked of Dave, that's what should be required of you.

Best

Jim

--
D. Jim West