b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ? David's palace in Jerusalem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ? David's palace in Jerusalem
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:25:36 +0000

On 8/5/05, Dora Smith wrote:
> This is indeed interesting.
>
> One thing that surely happened is that Israel had origins. Given that the
> Egyptian record shows events of Judges happening in the 18th and 19th
> dynasties (or was it 19th and 20th), before 1220, surely there was also
> history taking place in the 10th century.

What particular Judges events are told of in the Egyptian record? I think
Ahlstrom in his history suggests a tribal people in the Megiddo area mentioned
in the Egyptian record are the people of Asher, but that's not a "Judges
event."
I personally think that although writing continued throughout the "Judges"
period it was very limited. Furthermore, I think the Judges episodes
themselves
reflect events that occured in the 10th or 9th centuries BCE.

> Though one theory is that David was a not very elaborate tribal chieftain
> and Jerusalem no more than a citadel.

Even finding a "palace" in Jerusalem or even a fortified town wouldn't
discount
him as a tribal chieftain. David as a tribal chieftain was different from the
chieftain of deep desert nomadic tribes. Here we are speaking of semi-
nomadic population, which herded small flocks of sheep or goats, and whose
tribal leader may indeed have been settled.

> Under what king was this guy an official? I am wondering why one of
> David's officials would be mentioned exclusively in the book of Jeremiah.

This is a 6th century seal relating to a 6th century king. He is mentioned in
Jeremiah 37-38.

Yitzhak Sapir