b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kings v's Chronicles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kings v's Chronicles
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:36:41 +0100

Thank you all for your answers. They were very good and brought me much
insight.
In summary:

1) Kings was an adequate history that brought the nation up to the exile.
2) Chronicles was a redraft of the same history with emphasis on forgiveness
of sins which would help the returnees from the exile to understand that Yah
was still with them.
3) Kings therefore has the hallmarks of history written before and up to the
time of the exile.
4) Chronicles has the hallmarks of the same history written after the exile
but with a different agenda.

So the mechanism for the additional parts in the Chronicler's history would
have to be oral tradition which was presumably handed down by word of mouth
within the priesthood???