b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of YHWH
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:29:25 +0300

James, the reasoning is fairly simple. *If* ehie in Ex3:14 is the name, not
a common verb, and *if* ihwe is also the name, then this variation could be
only explained by the name being a verb, 1s and 3ms, respectively.

*If*, however, we translate Ex3:14 literally--and it makes more sense
literally--then ehie is a common verb, not the name, and ihwe doesn't have
to be a verb, either.

Vadim Cherny