b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH...Was..Is..Will (shall) be

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH...Was..Is..Will (shall) be
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:52:07 -0500

Dear Gene,

Gene, what text are you quoting? Without a context,
as Peter
said, your request for a translation seems to involve
a hidden
agenda. The first is a QATAL from HYH, the second a
Qal participle
from HWH, and the third a YIQTOL from HYH. A
participle would
normally involve another element giving the subject,
like a pronoun.

I am not specifically quoting any text, as I believe
that hayah howeh yihyeh is a rabbinic interpretation
based on Exodus 3:14. There is no hidden agenda
Harold, I am just trying to examine every available
aspect of the YHWH questioning process in an attempt
to have a clearer understanding of the finer points
presented by the wide variety of people that post on
this list.

HH: I said there would seem to be a hidden agenda if you had no text, but you do seem to have a rabbinic text in mind, at least generally. My understanding, from comments made on this list, is that modern Hebrew does regard QATAL and YIQTOL as having tense implications.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard