b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] END OF THREAD: Re: PS Re: Fwd: Re: YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George Athas <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] END OF THREAD: Re: PS Re: Fwd: Re: YHWH
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:41:48 +0100

On 27/07/2005 09:09, George Athas wrote:

Dear Members,

This thread has clearly gone beyond the bounds of decorum, and therefore has
no place on this forum. I urge everyone involved in this thread to desist
from any further comment on this matter . At B-Hebrew we welcome people of
all backgrounds and beliefs and discussions on the list must not include
attack of anyone's personal faith. If members persist with such attacks, the
chair staff will be forced to take action against them.

I urge your co-operation in this matter.

A couple of point here.

Firstly, this message actually arrived at the list Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:18:44 -0400, i.e. nearly 24 hours after it was apparently sent (as dated above, UK time). During those 24 hours a large number of messages were sent on this thread and others. And when it did arrive, it disappeared (at least on my screen) above those which had been sent after it but received before it, and so I read it only when I discovered an anomalous hidden unread message. So, George, please don't blame anyone for not following instructions which they had not received.

Secondly, while I quite agree that some of the sub-threads concerning YHWH and its pronunciation have "gone beyond the bounds of decorum", other parts have continued in a proper or scholarly manner. I assume that your note was intended to refer only to the sub-thread of the disagreement between Shoshanna and Jim, to which others have contributed. If you intend to put a halt to all discussion of the pronunciation of YHWH, you need to make this more clear.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)