b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jacob ben Hayyim - Masoretic Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jacob ben Hayyim - Masoretic Text
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

Peter:

I have notes from the NKJV and this is what they say:

There are eight places where Bomberg (=the TR of the
KJV) differs from BHK/BHS (=MT in our notes). In these
places the note explains that the NKJV is following
the Hebrew used by the KJV 1611 translators rather
than the modern critical editions of the MT. The
agreement or disagreement of the ancient versions is
also indicated in these places. (See Prov. 8:16; Isa.
10:16; 27:2; 38:14; Ezek. 30:18; Zeph. 3:15; and Mal.
1:12; also Jer. 34:1 without a note.)

Prov. 8:16
By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of
the earth. (KJV, LXX, Bomberg)
By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of
righteousness (BHS, Syriac, Vulgate)

Isa. 10:16;
Therefore shall the Lord, the Lord of hosts, send
among his fat ones leanness; and under his glory he
shall kindle a burning like the burning of a fire.
(KJV, Bomberg)

Therefore shall the Lord, the LORD of hosts, send
among his fat ones leanness; and under his glory he
shall kindle a burning like the burning of a fire.
(BHS)

Isa 27:2
In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine.
(BHK, Bomberg, Vulgate)
In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of delight
(BHS, some Hebrew mss, LXX)
In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of choice
(Targum)

Isa 38:14;
Like a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter: I did
mourn as a dove: mine eyes fail with looking upward: O
LORD, I am oppressed; undertake for me. (KJV, Bomberg)

Like a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter: I did
mourn as a dove: mine eyes fail with looking upward: O
Lord, I am oppressed; undertake for me. (BHS, Dead Sea
Scrolls)

Ezek. 30:18;
At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be darkened, when I
shall break there the yokes of Egypt: and the pomp of
her strength shall cease in her: as for her, a cloud
shall cover her, and her daughters shall go into
captivity. (KJV, Bomberg, Many Hebrew mss., Syriac,
Targum, Vulgate)

At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be refrained, when I
shall break there the yokes of Egypt: and the pomp of
her strength shall cease in her: as for her, a cloud
shall cover her, and her daughters shall go into
captivity. (BHS)

Zeph. 3:15;
The LORD hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast
out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is
in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil any
more. (KJV, Bomberg, Hebrew mss, LXX)

The LORD hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast
out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is
in the midst of thee: thou shalt not fear any more.
(BHS, Vulgate)

Mal. 1:12;
But ye have profaned it, in that ye say, The table of
the LORD is polluted; and the fruit thereof, even his
meat, is contemptible. (KJV, Bomberg)

But ye have profaned it, in that ye say, The table of
the Lord is polluted; and the fruit thereof, even his
meat, is contemptible. (BHS)

Jer. 34:1 (without a note)
The word which came unto Jeremiah from Jehovah, when
Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and all his army, and
all the kingdoms of the earth that were under his
dominion, and all the peoples, were fighting against
Jerusalem, and against all the cities thereof, saying:
(KJV, Bomberg)

The word which came unto Jeremiah from Jehovah, when
Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and all his army, and

http://www.litencyc.com/php/sworks.php?rec=true&UID=3271