b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH - yahu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH - yahu
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 06:27:54 +0200

Hadad is the NW Semitic storm god, pronounced Adad in Assyria. He became the
dynastic diety of Aram Damascus, and is part of the names of several Aramean
kings, such as Ben-hadad, Bir-hadad, Hadadezer, and the Assyrian Shamshi-adad
and Adad-nirari.
Shamash is the sun god (like the noun shemesh in Hebrew). He appears in
Phoenician and Aramean inscriptions.
Sin is the Sumerian/Akkadian moon god, worshipped especially at Ur and at
Harran. His name is inclided in those of Sargon the Great's grandson,
Naram-sin, and the Samarian leader Sin-ubalit ("Sanbalat").

Yigal