b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH - yahu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH - yahu
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:14:07 +0200

I'm surprised at your question. The Hebrew names that include various forms
of Yah, Yehu, Yeho, Yahu and Yo are quite typical theophoric names, such as
appear in all ANE cultures. They usually include the name of a deity with
either a verb or an adjactive. We have plenty of such names with such
deities as Kemosh, Baal, Nabu, Qaus, Isis, Hadad, Shamash, Sin, and many
others.

The Divine name that became, in Second Temple Jewish tradition, too holy to
pronounce, was only the full Tetragrammaton. Its various componants and
substitutes should not be "taken in vain" (meaning, in Jewish tradition, not
only swearing but any saying of God's name not in prayer or Torah study),
but they may certainly be used as part of personal names.

Yigal