b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shewa in imperative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwood.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shewa in imperative
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:36:10 +0300

The reduction is very strong in Russian,but, I think, it is also evident in
English. Compare "to record" and "recOrd!" The last, as I hear it, is more
like r'coord. I hear the same thing in German. This is only natural.
Imperative is distinguished by syntactical stress on the second vowel, which
is therefore elongated. The first vowel is accordingly shortened.
Accordingly, I expect, catav with imperative syntactical stress to elongate
the second vowel and reduce the first, catav - c'taav - c'tov.

Vadim Cherny