b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Four Rivers of Eden - Genesis 2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Four Rivers of Eden - Genesis 2
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:07:02 -0400

Mr. Kirk,

yes, rivers with deltas do form short, indistinct branches.
Yes rivers can be divided by sand bars, ox bows, and
sloughs. The Nile does form two main, and many smaller,
channels in the delta, but not above. However, no river
anywhere branches out to form two distinct rivers in
separate beds in opposite directions, much less into
separate valleys or basins as the Tigris and Euphrates do.

> From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
> Date: 2005/05/12 Thu PM 07:26:29 EDT
> To: tladatsi AT charter.net
> CC: mattfeld12 AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Four Rivers of Eden - Genesis 2
>
> On 12/05/2005 15:45, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
>
> >Walter & Co.
> >
> >I was not making geographical argument. No river
anywhere
> >branches out as it flows down hill. Branches of a river
> >come together on the downward path not apart. The
nearest
> >thing to what is described is in Cambodia where the
Mekong
> >River overflows it's banks in the wet season near Phnom
> >Penh into a short river and then into a lake (Tonle
Sab).
> >So for part of the year, the Mekong river branches out.
> >similar situation occurs on the Nile with Al Fayyum Lake
> >and in southern California with the San Gabriel River
and
> >the Rio Hondo. Those situations are at best seasonal
and
> >involve one branch, not four.
> >

> The Nile branches into at least two main channels, and in
antiquity into
> at least four, where it entered its delta. And this is
common of many
> rivers entering deltas at the foot of mountains,
sometimes but not
> always where they enter seas or lakes. Modern irrigation
has tended to
> restrict such rivers to a single course, but this would
not have been